I am back in the gym today after a scheduled rest week. I love the training and rest is something I struggle with, but experience has taught me that my body will let you know it needs to recover.
I’m feeling fresh and I've got a renewed energy get back to it!
What are the benefits of taking a week off from working out?
Restore the body physically
- Rest fatigued muscles
- Repair muscle strains and small tears
- Renew glycogen stores
- Restore the neuromuscular system
- Balance hormones
- Avoid mental fatigue and burnout
- Renewed motivation
Take a break.
When to take a week off?
- When you have been working out hard for 8-12 weeks solid
- You’ve plateaued.
- Your recovery time between workouts is not good.
- Muscle soreness is more than normal.
- You are starting to get a few niggles like joint pain and muscle strains.
- Your energy levels are lower.
- You fatigue earlier in your workout than usual.
- Your enthusiasm for training has dropped.
- Your overall mood is lower than normal.